Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shamrocks for St. Patty's Day!

mmm - cookies! I was playing around with different settings on iphoto...

I am Irish. Very Irish. As in, flaming red hair and freckles, can't go outside in summer because of my fair skin irish. However, I hate - and I mean hate - Irish food. Soda Bread, haggis, all of that kind of stuff, ew. But I like cookies. And frosting. So I made some shortbread cookies with a powdered sugar frosting, in honor of this very Irish holiday.

Shamrock Cookies
recipe courtesy of thepioneerwoman.com

Ingredients
  • 2 sticks Plus 2 Tablespoons Salted Butter, Softened
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 cup (scant) Corn Starch
Preparation Instructions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar together. Sift in flour and

cornstarch and blend together using a pastry cutter

until the ingredients all come together. (If mixture

seems excessively dry, cut in 1 more tablespoon of

butter—but only if you really need it.) (p.s. as a note

from me, I just used my hands to mix it all up - it

blended it a lot better)

Form dough into a big ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and

refrigerate 20 minutes.

Roll onto a lightly floured surface and cut into rounds.

Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper

or a baking mat. Bake for 20 minutes. Do not allow

shortbread to brown; the edges should have the faintest

golden tinge.


Powdered Sugar Frosting

2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 tsp milk

Mix together. You may need to add more or less liquid in, or more or less powdered sugar, to get the consistency you desire. To decorate the cookies, I used the flooding technique.


No comments:

Post a Comment